How to take care of 9.25 Sterling Silver jewellery:
We’re here to show you that how to take care of 925 silver jewellery easy, quick, and convenient. You just need to know the right tricks and techniques.
Preventive care and daily wearing tips :
- Remove during household chores: Contact with household chemicals, perspiration, rubber, chlorinated water, or any substances which contain sulphur (e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, onions, eggs, latex, wool), will cause corrosion and tarnish — so it’s a good idea to remove 925 silver jewellery, especially silver rings when doing household chores.
- Keep out of direct sunlight: Direct sunlight also causes silver to tarnish, so be sure to take off your 925 silver jewellery before you go swimming and sunbathing.
- Put your jewellery on last: For generations, women have been putting their jewellery on last and that’s for good reason! Lotions, makeups, hair spray, and perfumes will accelerate tarnishing.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR STERLING SILVER JEWELLERY
There are countless at-home methods for cleaning your 925 silver jewellery. You’ve probably found yourself faced with endless options, wondering which are the best. Well, here’s the silver cleaning methods that our jeweller’s suggest for your at-home cleanings:
- Soap and water: This is our most recommended method because of the gentleness of soap and water.
- Baking soda and water: If you come across suggestions to use toothpaste, we highly recommend you ignore that tip and use baking soda and water instead. When toothpaste was simple non-whitening, non-gel-based pastes, they could be used on your jewellery. However, they include many more ingredients now that may damage your silver. Instead, make a paste from baking soda and water, apply a small amount onto a cloth or toothbrush and scrub gently.
- Finish with a polish: After you’ve given your jewellery a good cleaning, you can finish the process by using a polishing cloth that’s specifically for 925 sterling silver. you can repeat this process as often as needed. Remember, the key to keeping your sterling silver jewellery clean is to keep up with regular cleanings to remove tarnish as it builds. Your job becomes much more difficult if you let a piece accumulate a lot of tarnish and then try to remove it all at once.
HOW TO PROPERLY STORE YOUR SILVER JEWELRY
- Use an air-tight container: Any container can be used to store your 925 silver jewellery, as long as it’s air-tight. Zip-lock bags are great.
- Keep in a cool, dark place: As mentioned earlier, sunlight, heat, and moisture accelerate tarnishing. Be sure to keep your silver jewellery in a cool, dark place.
- Store pieces individually: Storing your pieces separately prevents any chance of Silver jewellery scratching or tangling with each other.
- Do not store in paper, cardboard, or cotton-filled boxes: These boxes may contain traces of sulphur which will contribute to tarnishing.
PRODUCTS THAT HELP PREVENT TARNISH
There are a few other things you may try when looking for ways to prevent your sterling silver jewellery from tarnishing.
- Store jewellery with chalk: If you throw a few pieces of chalk in with your sterling silver jewellery, the chalk will absorb the moisture and help prevent tarnishing.
- Use silica packs: When you buy new clothes or shoes, sometimes you’ll find silica packs in with them. Hold onto these and toss them in your jewellery box. They’re great for absorbing moisture!
- Anti-tarnish cloths: Lining your jewellery box with anti-tarnish cloths is a great idea. These cloths absorb sulphur and moisture from the air and are usually chemically treated to prevent tarnish.
Remember that it’s easier to prevent tarnish than it is to remove it after it occurs. If you see tarnish beginning to form, be sure to clean it immediately. Following these steps will help keep your 925 sterling silver looking like new for years to come!